For Safeway shoppers who enjoy playing the “grocery game” (as in “How much can I save this trip?”), you can play an actual game and win big prizes. Yes, Safeway’s popular Monopoly game is back! But, like everything else, there’s a whole new way to play. No more paper game board, instead you’ll be playing on your computer or through an app.
Through Tuesday, May 4, earn Shop, Play, Win! game pieces for your shot at $230 million in prizes, including $1 million cash, a vacation home, groceries for life, gift cards and lots of smaller prizes, including cash and products.
It’s easy to play. Each time you shop you earn 1 ticket for every $25 qualifying purchase in a single transaction, up to 4 tickets for $100 purchase AND earn 1 ticket for each featured item you buy.
(Note: We’ve noticed the system is a bit more generous and is awarding tickets for most purchases regardless of meeting the $25 minimum.)
Open the tickets to reveal a digital code. In a game piece, you get one of three options: an instant prize, digital code to play the Match 3 game online or a discount offer.
You then scan the ticket code to play. Instant Ticket Prizes, as well as cash and product offers, will be deposited directly into your Just for U rewards account. Those who win big, will receive special instructions how how to claim their prize.
Here’s how Instant Win works
First, open your SHOP, PLAY, WIN! MONOPOLY game tickets and READ the coupon portion to determine if you won an Instant Prize. Each winning coupon includes redemption instructions.
Instant Win Prizes must be scanned or entered into your SHOP, PLAY, WIN! account. Store Level Prizes (see list below) will be loaded directly to your Just for U account to to redeem at checkout with your account’s phone number. NO COUPON IS NEEDED AT CHECKOUT.
Store Level Instant Prizes that require scanning with your SHOP, PLAY, WIN!® account:
- $25 Just for U/rewards! Cash
- $10 Just for U/rewards! Cash
- $5 Just for U/rewards! Cash
- $2 Just for U/rewards! Cash
- $1 Just for U/rewards! Cash
- FREE Products
- 50¢, $1, $2, $5 Discount Offers
High-Level Instant Win Prizes must also be scanned in your SHOP, PLAY, WIN! account to activate verification form delivery to your email account.
Here’s how Match 3 works
- Scan or enter the Digital Match 3 Coupon code in the app or on the website.
- The site will reveal 9 generic TITLE DEED CARDS (you can’t see what text is behind the TITLE DEED CARDS).
- Select any 3 (and only 3) TITLE DEED CARDS, and then click the SUBMIT button.
- The 3 selected TITLE DEED CARDS will be revealed.
- If ALL THREE EXACTLY MATCH color properties and product image, you are a potential winner of the specified prize.
- Potential winners will be provided details on how to verify and claim the prize.
- If ALL THREE selected TITLE DEED CARDS DO NOT EXACTLY MATCH, you will receive a participating vendor offer or be awarded a specific number of tokens that will be stored in your game account.
- Read the “match” or “no match” notification window and follow any redemption directions provided.
- Potential High-level and Low-Level winners will receive an email verification form to return for verification and awarding of the prize.
- Free Product or Coupon Offers will automatically be clipped into your Just For U account.
- Cash Rewards will be added as a credit in your Just for U account.
In some cases you will receive tokens, instead of a prize. Tokens can be redeemed for rewards such as grocery gift cards, discounts on gas or groceries and free products. Each reward has a specific number of tokens you must spend to redeem it.
Bottom line, the new game is about finding three matching symbols to win — not collecting a bunch of game pieces. As a result, there will be no rare game pieces necessary to win.
We can already hear the grumbling about the all-digital aspect of this system. But there is some good news: Customers earn a game piece for every $25 in qualifying grocery purchases — up to four (4) game pieces in a single transaction.
Previously, customers automatically earned just one game piece per transaction — in addition to any game pieces earned for purchasing bonus products. (The bonus products option stays the same this year.)
The change means customers will now potentially earn more game pieces per transaction, especially if you regularly spend more than $50 per shopping trip.
Keep your game pieces!
Even though the game is very popular, the odds of winning can be a challenge. It’s easier than you think because each game piece is labeled with the prize for which it’s valid.
Just to be clear, once again, you must keep all of your game pieces, even after scanning. Do not throw them away. You need to the physical game tickets for redemption.
All High-level and Low-level prizes require the submission of a verification form along with the original winning coupon, per the instructions on the verification form.
Of course, you still want to open your game piece to see, if you’ve earned an online code, coupon or instant prize.
You must tie your Shop Play Win account to your Just for U account. As a result, any prizes you win, such as FREE products, discounts or gift cards, are automatically added to your Just for U account.
Then, simply enter your phone number at checkout or the gas pump to redeem. This is a great feature, especially when you accumulate tons of smaller FREE grocery items. The discounts are automatically applied at checkout.
Though the game officially ends on May 4, you can still redeem game pieces and coupons through May 27.
Looking for free tickets?
Click here to read our post about how to obtain Monopoly game pieces for free.
If you win any prizes, let us know. Good luck!
Remember, MHOTC is not affiliated with Safeway, so we can’t answer questions about the Monopoly game, including why the app doesn’t work or how to find winning tickets.
If you can’t find answers on the official website, it’s best to check with the Customer Service Desk of your local Safeway store or contact its customer service line at 1-877-723-3929.