What do you do with all of those leaves after you’ve made a big pile and jumped in them a few times? Well, it’s time again for Denver’s Annual LeafDrop. Weekday drop off sites will be open from October 7 through Friday, December 6. Weekend sites are open in November. Leaves collected through the program will be turned into a high-quality compost and sold to residents next May. There’s lots of information, so let’s just get to it.
First, it’s FREE. However, it’s for Denver residents only.
Instead of plastic bags, paper are recommended, as paper bags can also be composted. Participating Ace Hardware stores are giving away 25,000 FREE 5-pack paper leaf and yard bags, while supplies last (one per household). Here’s a list of participating Ace Hardware stores:
- Alameda Station, 417 S. Broadway
- Ninth Avenue, 1030 E. 9th Ave.
- Twelfth Avenue, 2640 E. 12th Ave.
- On the Fax, 7100 E. Colfax Ave.
- Cherry Creek, 1417 S. Holly St.
- University Hills, 2500 S. Colorado Blvd.
- Tamarac Square, 3333 S. Tamarac Dr.
- Highlands, 3758 Osage St.
You’ll need a coupon for the freebie. Additional 5-packs are $2.50.
You cannot drop leaves at the sites, except for the times and dates below. (It’s considered public dumping, if you do so.)
Where are the drop sites?
WEEKDAYS: Now through December 7 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., you can drop them at Cherry Creek Transfer Station (7301 E. Jewell Ave.), Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Rd. – south of I-70) and South Platte (678 S. Jason St.). All leaves brought to the Havana Nursery and South Platte MUST be in tied/closed and secured bags.
WEEKENDS (SATURDAY & SUNDAY): November 2 & 3, November 9 & 10 and November 16 & 17 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. you can drop them at:
- Bruce Randolph High School (E. 40th Ave. & Steele St.)
- Veterans Park (S. Vine St. & E. Iowa Ave.)
- Cherry Creek Transfer Station (7301 E. Jewell Ave. at Quebec St. & Cherry Creek Dr. South)
- Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Rd.)
- Kennedy High School (2855 S. Lamar St.)
- Sloan’s Lake Park (17th Ave. & Sheridan Blvd.)
One more thing… pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns are accepted for composting at compost sites, as well.
Weekly on Sunday and Saturday @ 11:00 am-3:00 pm (November 2, 2019 - November 17, 2019)